Hi Jim!

I'd suggest learning a bit about HF propagation. The ARRL website is a good place to start. Also grab one or many of the free propagation packages on the web and start playing with it/them. A good place to start is VOACAP or one of it's progeny.

A teensy-weensy bit about propagation:
You'll find that the stuff in the 1-3 MHz range tend to be "short haul" communications. Say, from Israel to Europe. I say "tend to be" because this is HF: the Wild West of the Radio Spectrum. Intercontinental broadcasts tend to be higher in frequency. (Notice the "tend to be" again.) Some of the software tools I mentioned above can tell you roughly which frequencies are viable between the transmitter location and yours. Don't let any of this discourage you from scanning frequencies that you don't see reported on the lists- no one else knows what you're able to pick up at your location.

Expanding a bit on one of the other replies you got:
The (alleged) Mossad actually transmits on the quarter hour; top, quarter-past, bottom, quarter-to. Most of the rest transmit at top and bottom although I strongly suspect there are more exceptions.

Another aspect of the hobby is that transmissions aimed at the USA follow the shift into/out of Daylight Savings Time.

Enjoy yourself!

Duane

Falls, Jim wrote:

I am a newbie and am wondering if there are typical freq ranges these folks use? A couple
of stations seem to use set freqs and schedules (per the internet sites) but are the
majority just out there "somewhere" and you find them by tooling around at the
top of the hour? I imagine things shift w/the seasons as propagation changes.

Jim Falls
KG6FWT
Eureka, CA

-