Why would someone want that kind of a weather station there?

Remote monitoring comes to mind, but as for why that's something of a
mystery.  Windspeed makes sense if you're running light aircraft or
low-altitude balloons, I suppose - useful for getting some idea of
drift or landing conditions.  Temperature, humidity, and pressure are
a bit less clear, but since most available online weather services
generally don't have good coverage of desert areas this would be a
relatively easy way of knowing the local conditions when there's no
other way of getting them.

FWIW, I've picked these up a couple of times at night in the
Twentynine Palms area.  Signal strength is typically very weak, maybe
4/2 for RST.

- skroo.