So, to get into greater detail, Ammonium Nitrate by itself is a class 2
oxidizer.  Only when they come in contact with organic materials can they start
a fire.   Otherwise, it is not a flammable or combustible.  It accelerates
burning and under specific conditions can create an explosion when combined
with other agents.

Diesel fuel is either a class IIIA or II depending on the additives.  Verify
via SDS.

Quantities of materials come into play when if comes to the occupancy
classification of the space.  More than 250 gallons of ammonium nitrate in a
non-sprinklered area and you’re into a H-3 occupancy.  H3 will require
sprinkler protection as well as secondary containment for liquid spill and
sprinkler discharge.

Diesel fuel if Class II or IIIA will also have limits and could push the space
into a H3 occupancy.

However, this one gets a bit tricky as some might argue that in a mine the
building code doesn’t apply since there is no building.  This becomes a
conversation with the owner and the responding fire department as to how the
area should be addressed from a code perspective.  The local building code
official might not even have any jurisdiction over this operation.

Craig Prahl | Jacobs | Fire Protection SME – Special Hazards |
craig.pr...@jacobs.com<mailto:craig.pr...@jacobs.com> |
www.jacobs.com<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/www.jacobs.com/__;!!KZTdOCjhgt4hgw!-_khxU8gU0_6jc895I7kRbnU8JghRDsWgqOblZ4jr7Qp2IVbR30VYw_hWvNFtphnl0uWpB9KIvbYi1pvZz4$>
1041 East Butler Road   Greenville, South Carolina  29606