From: Steve Leyton <st...@protectiondesign.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 1, 2024 12:18 PM
To: Discussion list on issues relating to automatic fire sprinklers
<sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] [Sprinklerforum] Re: Seismic data outside the US

This piqued my interest, so I did a quick search with a couple of different
phrases and I found… nothing.   However, I did learn that since 1976 Guatemala
has had several major earthquakes ranging from M6.8-7.5, so it’s ACTIVE.  They
have several major faults that get pressed on both the Pacific and Caribbean
sides, 3 active volcanos and seems like it’s generally very nasty, seismically
speaking.

Absent known/published force factor values, if I was pressed I would look to
where we’ve historically had similar quakes (i.e. 7.0+) and the two regions I’d
benchmark are Prince William Sound, Alaska and the San Francisco Bay area.   We
actually had a 7.2 about 2 hours east of San Diego in 2010 (Calexico) but that
region isn’t rated as high as others.  I think using the highest value you can
find from USGS is a solid Plan B.

My opinion only,
Steve L.