I'm using Postgres as a database. I try to create new records or update
existing records with data. The data is parsed from a csv file. Creating new
records works fine. But when a record already exists, the update fails with:
*
*
* IntegrityError: (IntegrityError) duplicate key value violates unique
constraint "stock_item_pkey"*

I've looked at the SA documentation and as far as I can see the 'add' does
an insert or an update. I've also tried updata, but that fails too and als
mentions a depreciated statement.

The new data is going to a single table. The PrimaryKey is the item number
(item with value itemno in snippet below). Since the item is unique, I don't
let Postgres create an id.

*new = Item(item=itemno, ...)*
*db.session.add(new)*
*db.session.commit()*
*
*
*I'm pretty new with SA and I might overlook something. How can I solve
this?
*