----- Original Message -----
From: "John Stanton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <sqlite-users@sqlite.org>
Sent: Friday, April 14, 2006 1:32 AM
Subject: Re: [sqlite] Re: Structured or Object-Oriented

> I was always impressed with Dijkstra's contention that a programmer's
> most important quality is a familiarity and skill with mathematics.  The
> ability to think in abstract terms and understand the concept of proof
> of correctness is certainly more important than learning a certain
> methodology and blindly applying it.
> JS

I agree with the basic idea except in that it does not really relate to
mathematics as such:
'The ability to think in abstract terms and understand the concept of proof
of correctness' could be considered a basic principle of philosophy and by
application of science;
In the 1970's I was studying biology and the most earth shattering
concept/rule that came my way was 'always relate structure to function', a
principle which 'encapsulates' OOP in five words (or four if you remove the
'always');
Biology in the evolutionary sense is not concerned with correctness but with
the 'fittest', that is, that which functions best;
there is no proof, correctness or methodology, only that which works;