At 3:45 PM -0500 8/27/04, Larry Kubin wrote:
Hello everyone. I am interested in creating a PHP/SQLite powered
bulletin board system similar to phpBB. However, I have read that
SQLite is best suited for applications that are mainly read-only
(because it locks the database during writes). Do you think a SQLite
powered bulletin board is a bad idea? How would I go about handling
the case where two users are trying to write to the database
simultaneously?

The appropriateness really depends on how busy your bulletin board will be. If it has hundreds or thousands of people *simultaneously* trying to post, then you may run into problems. Otherwise, for a typical website, such as with no more than a few dozen posts per minute (and most likely a lot less than that), then SQLite should be able to handle the BB fine. SQLite being fast in general should help. Most BB writes are inserts, also, with few-to-none updates or deletes. While the whole DB is locked, the locking period should be milliseconds short, so for typical usage no one should notice slowdowns. Of course, try it and see. -- Darren Duncan