On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 05:30:40PM -0400, D. Richard Hipp wrote:

> The best design would be to make the application generic so
> that it could use either SQLite or a client/server database.

In an ideal world, yes.  In practice...  My guess is it's probably a
LOT more trouble than it's worth.

SQLite and (for example) PostgreSQL are pretty different.  Much more
different than Oracle vs. PostgreSQL, and those are different enough
(even though they share virtually identical MVCC concurrency models)!

Also, a more hand-wavy argument: If you're app is going to maybe -
ever - need the scalability of a client server database like
PostgreSQL, your target audience is likely such that you'll want to
use other features of the client server database as well.

E.g., contrast a stand-alone discussion board on the web page of a
local club, vs. an entire company or university intranet with many
different applications, all integrated.  In the latter case, well, if
you really want that software to be used by and scale to a Fortune 500
company, that audience is also going to want a whole lot of features
that your local stamp collecting club would never care about.

--
Andrew Piskorski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.piskorski.com/