> can a similar argument be made for assembler?

Yes, but modern C compilers generate code that's 99% as good as
a human would write. I've tried to write better code in assembler
than the compiler does. I've managed it, but's it's pretty hard.

If you profile your code you generally find that the difference
between C and assembler to be not significant compared to other
factors. In my case speed is not material because even the worst
code on a really slow machine won't make the internet send the
data any faster.

The only place I've seen assembler used, aside from in the
computer in your microwave oven, is in the innermost rendering
loop in 3d game engines.