On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 5:25 PM, Nico Williams <n...@cryptonector.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 02:22:42PM -0600, John McKown wrote:
> >
> > [...] every RDMS "should" implement Decimal Floating Point.
>
> You could argue that every programming language needs that.  What makes
> SQL more special than the others in this regard?

The SQL standard (at least SQL92) specifies an exact numeric type that uses
decimal precision for rounding. Most other programming languages don't.

There are reasons we use IEEE754: it's fixed-sized, it's built-in pretty
> much everywhere, and it's usually implemented in hardware, so it's fast.

The IEEE754-2008 standard includes both base 2 (binary) and base 10
(decimal) numbers. E.g., decimal64, decimal128, as well as binary64
(typical C double) and binary32 (typical C float). There are few hardware
implementations of decimal floats; modern processors that have it include
IBM System Z and POWER6.