On 2/1/17, Kevin O'Gorman <kevinogorm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a database of positions and moves in a strategic game, and I'm
> searching for unsolved positions that have been connected to an immediate
> ancestor.  I'm using Python 3.5.2, and the code looks like

Please provide us with the following additional information:

(1) In python, run the query: "SELECT sqlite_version(), sqlite_source_id();"

(2) In a recent sqlite3 command-line shell (the latest release, not
whatever 5-year-old release happens to be installed on your system)
bring up your database and run the command:

     .fullschema --indent

And send in the output.

(3) Download the bundle of command-line tools for your OS, then run
the command "sqlite3_analyzer" on your database, and send in the
output.

Thanks.

> #!/usr/bin/env python3
> """Output positions that are reachable but unsolved at census 18 or greater
> See page 76 of Qubic log
>
> Last Modified: Tue Jan 31 12:13:07 PST 2017
> """
>
> import sqlite3          # https://docs.python.org/3.5/library/sqlite3.html
>
> with sqlite3.connect("917.db") as conn:
>     for row in conn.execute("""
>                 SELECT DISTINCT ppos
>                 FROM move JOIN pos ON mto = pnum
>                 WHERE pcensus = 18 and pmin < pmax
>             """):
>         print(row[0])
>
> As written here, this query runs for 1193 minutes (just short of 20
> hours).  If I remove the "DISTINCT" and instead pipe the result into the
> sort program that comes with Linux "sort --unique" the query and sort takes
> only 31 minutes.  The results are the same, and consist of 4.2 million rows.
>
> This seems extreme.
>
> --
> word of the year: *kakistocracy*

D. Richard Hipp