Take a look at
http://www.sqlite.org/cgi/src/artifact/3ed64afc49c0a222?ln=2214,2233
(especially the assert within).

I may not be understanding something, but that assert seems pointless
to me. The point of the loop is to check all the columns in an index
to see if they are all binary collated. If any column is not binary
collated, then exit early, which will skip the following if statement
at 2234.

It feels to me like that assert was added as a mid-development sanity
check when it was being developed against a known database. I had it
trip on me today unexpectedly.

If I am incorrect and that is a useful assertion, I'd like to
understand the reason why. Otherwise, the if statement at 2232 does
everything the assert at 2230 does, making the assert fire when the
code is working correctly.

--
Scott Robison