On 12 Apr 2017, at 8:29pm, Jens Alfke <j...@mooseyard.com> wrote:

> which I only need to issue when initializing a new database.

'need' is a bit strong.  I have never worried about pagesize in a database.
I’ve always just left it at the default for whatever platform I’m using when I
create the database.  But I don’t write programs where SQLite speed is a
bottleneck.

I have previous argued for category documention for PRAGMAs: which ones are
stored in the database, which ones just tell you things, etc..

The only pragma needed anew for each connection to the database is

        PRAGMA busy_timeout = milliseconds

I might argue that given what it does, this should really be saved in the
database file somewhere.

The rest

* just tell you things, have no lasting effect
* are single-use tools which change the database file in a one-time way
* are saved in the database file (e.g. journal mode = WAL, page size)
* can reasonably be different for different concurrent connections to the
database (some poll for changes, others log changes)

Simon.