Yue Wu <yue...@datascan.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> As mentioned in the subject, our goal is to improve performance regarding
> to batch sql updates.
> The update sql as follow,
>
>> UPDATE ITEM SET FIELD4 =? WHERE DS=?
>
> We run 100,000 updates in a single transaction. The zipvfs version takes
> about 20 min while uncompressed version takes about 7 min.

Which compression algorithm do you use with zipvfs?
Try LZ4, it's is times faster than zlib at compression and
decompression, at the cost of compressing a bit less:

https://github.com/lz4/lz4

Or try zstd, which can compress more than zlib and faster (especially
on 64-bit architectures), but it's not as fast as LZ4:

http://facebook.github.io/zstd/

What is also your SQLite page size?
Reducing the SQLite page size probably helps to speed up
updates, since zipvfs compresses by pages.

Dominique