On Oct 11, 2018, at 12:26 AM, Darren Duncan <dar...@darrenduncan.net> wrote:

> On 2018-10-10 1:36 PM, Eric wrote:
>> Too much overhead, how often must I clone ...
>
> This makes me think that it would be useful, if it doesn't already, for
> Fossil to have something analogous to a database replication feature.

That’s pretty much what Fossil *is*: a replicated database.  Most of it happens
to be blockchain structured, rather than relational table structured, but much
of the table-structured data is also synchronized between a clone and its
parent.

Fossil forum content is just more of the same of what Fossil already stores, so
it syncs down to a clone just the same as anything else you’ve got stored in
Fossil.

The only differences between a Fossil repository clone and its parent are some
local-only settings and security-sensitive information such as the user table.

If you clone as a sufficiently privileged user, you can even pull down the user
table.  This is useful when replicating Fossil across multiple sites for backup
and site fail-over purposes.  The SQLite and Fossil project repos are currently
replicated across 3 different hosts in this way.

> A bit like a mailing list but that the sender and client are both instances
> of Fossil.

Fossil allows you to open your local repository in a browser and insert content
into the forum locally, then sync the content up to the remote repository.

That requires a user capability that had not been given to my user on the
fossil-scm.org/forum instance, last I checked.  I assume that no one else but
drh can do this at the moment on that instance.

However, I’ve done it on one of my own Fossil repositories, just now:

   https://tangentsoft.com/mysqlpp/forumpost/f8b7fc2ca9