On 12 Apr 2019, at 1:45am, Warren Young <war...@etr-usa.com> wrote:

> ZFS

I've used ZFS.  ZFS is a great file system for some purposes.  Fully-fledged
databases isn't one of them.

Someone already mentioned the problem of a transaction-based DBMS running on a
transaction-based filesystem.  I can add the problems of a minimum-change
block-structured database running on a block-structured copy-on-write file
system on solid state drives.  Also read this

<https://blog.docbert.org/oracle-on-zfs/>

and substitute SQLite for Oracle.  (Ironically, ZFS is a registered trademark
belonging to Oracle Corporation.)  (Okay, I'm not 100% certain that SQLite has
exactly the same problems as this article discusses.  So take it with a pinch
of salt or we can start a new thread.)

OP says he's running on a Mac.  He's probably using APFS, which uses some of
the techniques ZFS does (most relevantly copy-on-write).  But when APFS was
being designed in 2016, macOS already used SQLite internally and high-end Macs
already had SSDs, not spinning drives.  The people who designed APFS would have
been worrying about SQLite and Solid State Drives from the first day they
tested APFS on real computers.  I doubt the same is true of ZFS which was
designed sometime around 2004.