> what should SQLite do when the application asks it to convert

> a -0.0 value into text. It is only the binary-to-text conversion

routine that is at question here.

A possible solution could be a new function,
- something like abszero() or trimzero() - acting only on +/- 0.0
and suppressing any sign before the value, combined with the new
rule that binary-to-text conversion retrieve data exactly as it
is stored (and maybe improving hosts langage interoperability).
This could permit any desired behaviour.

Personally, if I want to do binary-to-text conversion of numbers,
it is my duty to consider there could be some "artifacts" to deal
with, resulting from the representation standard.

If binary-to-text conversion preserves any sign before 0.0 value,
it might conciliate different intents to permit (for example) :

CAST(trimzero(somecolumn) AS TEXT) if no sign is wanted for textual
representation of 0.0

(don't kwow if it's a so good solution however)

Best regards

-jm

---
antivirus Avast.