On 11/12/19 2:42 PM, Michael Tiernan wrote:
> On 11/10/19 1:21 AM, Gary R. Schmidt wrote:
>> So what happens when someone from a family who only uses first- and
>> last-names moves to Kansas?
>>
>> Do they have to make up a middle-name so that he idiots can fill out
>> the forms?
>
> I am most definitely not going to take one side or the other. My only
> suggestion is for anyone to see the depth and complexity of the
> problem, get involved in genealogy. You'll want to scream very
> quickly. :)

Yep, I AM involved in genealogy, and there you not only want to just
record the person's name, but you have a real reason to want to group
people by 'last name' as that is one hint that they might be related,
but there are all sorts of rules in different cultures about family
names (can't really call them 'last names' as they aren't always last,
and 'Surnames' aren't accurate either)

--
Richard Damon