On 11/13/19 3:25 AM, Wout Mertens wrote:
> Fascinating discussion, and threads like this are why this is the only
> mailing list that always triggers my "important" flag :)
>
> My problem with names isn't the number of fields needed to present them (I
> liberally use JSON1), but the operations that are possible on them, and the
> UI needed to enter this data.
>
> I want to know, given a world where people have nicknames, no last names,
> gender fluidity, customizable pronouns, honorifics, super short and super
> long names, non-latin characters etc
>
>    - How do I create an email greeting
>    - How do I create an address label
>    - How should I sort a list of names
>    - How should I show a logged in user
>    - How do you let the user fill in their name
>
> I'm thinking that maybe the name filling in would just take the full name
> as they want to write it, and if their name has non-latin charset
> characters, it opens another field where they can enter their "western
> name".
>
> Then there's the matter of honorific, which is a searchable dropdown (all
> languages combined I think) that lets you add custom honorifics if needed.
>
> While they are filling in the fields, there's a preview section that shows
> derived data, like email:"Dear [honorific] [lastname]",
> profile:"[fullname]" etc, where the user can pick if they'd rather be
> addressed with "Hi [firstname]", "To: [alias]" etc. Depending on the
> application, it could even show the name in various declensions (e.g. in
> slavic languages), or custom pronouns.
>
> It's complex, but it could be a nice UI component to open source, and it
> would result in an object with the various derivations of the name that
> you'd store schemaless.
>
> However, it could be that people will feel threatened or reduced to a
> number with that sort of interface. I have no idea how to fix that.
>
> Wout.
>

> Wout.

The only answer that I can give to most of those is that if you want to
do it 'right', you need to ask the user for that information with an
explanation of why you want it. You can perhaps start with the some of
the blocks filled in from previous answers and let them edit it.

The one thing you might not need is how to sort, because unless you
directory listing for people to scan and find a person (and if you are,
you probably should be asking explicit permission to do so), you
generally don't really need to sort names, just be able to search names,
and there wild card search are often much better at finding who you are
looking for.

--
Richard Damon