I've done some reading and kind of side stepped the issue a bit by adding a
reference to System.Data.SQLite and use that connection object to connect
to the database and pass the connection to the MS SQLite driver. I can now
password encrypt databases and (from my very brief tests) it looks like I
can do the basic insert / updates I wanted to.

For future reference here's the OnConfiguring override in my DbContext.
I've commented out the password code for the moment so I can edit the
database using a tool that doesn't support encryption.

 protected override void OnConfiguring(DbContextOptionsBuilder
optionsBuilder)
        {
            SQLiteConnection conn = new SQLiteConnection($"Data
Source={_fileName}");
            //conn.Open();
            //SQLiteCommand command = conn.CreateCommand();
            //command.CommandText = "SELECT QUOTE(@Password);";
            //command.Parameters.AddWithValue("@Password", _password);
            //string quotedPassword = (string)command.ExecuteScalar();
            //command.CommandText = $"PRAGMA {(!File.Exists(_fileName) ?
"rekey" : "key")} = {quotedPassword};"; // rekey sets / changes password
            //command.Parameters.Clear();
            //command.ExecuteNonQuery();
            optionsBuilder.UseSqlite(conn);
        }