It's acting as though all the changes were held in memory, or somehow
journaled, and when the crash happened, the changes were all lost or rolled
back.  What I need is a way to force the database to save its data to disk
while my app is running, so that in the event of a crash, I lose little or no
data.  How can I do this?  I presume that closing the database would do the
trick, but is there a less heavy-handed way?

COMMIT should write the data to disk. Did you check errors after the
COMMIT to be sure there wasn't some kind of error?