At 1:40 AM +0000 11/14/07, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
The new look for the SQLite website is now in place,
if you haven't already noticed:

    http://www.sqlite.org/

The feedback from this mailing list has so far been
very helpful.  Please don't stop offering suggestions.

So I just looked at the current website right now, and the main page and other pages look very good from what I can tell. Considerable improvements from the older website.

Now, a few points on terminology that may seem minor to others, but not to me:

1. It is good that your main documentation is refering to SQLite as a "SQL DBMS" or "SQL engine" rather than using the word "relational" or "RDBMS" to describe it. The SQL standard doesn't call SQL "relational" and neither do other people who know what the relational model of data actually is, so I'm happy to see that the SQLite website seems to follow technical accuracy in this regard.

2. However, a different point needs adjusting in a few places, the term "database". A "database" is a managed collection of data, and it is *not* a program or program code. The website refers to SQLite being a "database" in a few places, but that is not true. Other places correctly call it a "database engine" or "database management system" or "DBMS", and that is correct; the other references should be fixed to say "database engine" or such when referring to SQLite itself. Only use the straight word "database" to refer to the data files or data file collections or RAM stores et al that store data managed by SQLite.

Here are specific places on the front page that need the update, and are probably typos:

* Unlike most other SQL databases, SQLite does not have a separate server process.

Actually, that's the only such typo I found on the front page (should change to "SQL database engines"); all other occurrances of "database" looked correct, also great news. But this is something to keep in mind for the future if necessary.

Keep up the good work.

-- Darren Duncan

P.S. I just noticed now that the 3.5.x line is now considered stable, which shows how much I was paying attention to some news details before ... thought it was still alpha. Now hopefully DBD::SQLite for Perl will be updated to include it sometime soon.