Thanks for your response. I do realize the performance of sqlite over the
network will be slower than accessing local databases - I will restate if I
wasn't clear - the question I asked is why sqlite accessing a networked
database is slower WHEN that particular database is attached in a different
database connection/process. Please see my original message.

The performance I'm getting when accessing a database over the network is
perfectly acceptable to me. As soon as another client is attached to the
same database, I am clearly seeing a different behaviour from sqlite, and
the performance in that case is much slower, and this is what I'm trying to
understand.

thanks, Serena.