Serena Lien wrote:
> Thanks for the response - no it hadn't occurred to me to try a different
> network filesystem, as I don't really have access to non windows machines.
> I'm just using windows xp machines set up on the same domain, where the
> databases reside on shared folders.
>
> I actually thought there might be extra work sqlite is doing (no not
> sleeping!) when more than one client is accessing the same database, like
> having to move between extra locking states or something like that, and that
> it might be easily explainable, but you're perfectly right that it could
> just be down to the OS.

This slowdown is almost certainly due to the use of opportunistic
locking in the SMB protocols. With a single client the it uses exclusive
oplocks and can cache remote file data locally. When a second client
connects it can no longer do this and subsequently slows down to the
real speed of remote file access.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opportunistic_Locking for additional info.

HTH
Dennis Cote