I considered that also, but I wasn't sure about whether or not that
guaranteed no disk writes (maybe some sort of function call might be
made there). That also restricts things like the usage of in-memory
temp tables that might be useful. It appears that sqlite knows whether
or not a statement will definitively, actually hit disk, whereas
filtering by SELECT seemed unclear to me as to whether it would quite
cover or catch everything.

If that is truly the best way, then that's fine I guess.

-JT