Roger,
I do not expect my request to be a priority.  I have suggested only that
such black-box amalgamations be kept in mind as a mitigating factor when the
architects are assigning a priority to a feature request. In those cases
where it is impossible for the end-user to avail himself of the
load_extension capabilities of SQLite, the core may be the only place to
implement a desired feature. The function I asked for (raw/naive
codepoint-by-codepoint  string reverse) does exist in other mainstream
databases, including Oracle and SQLServer.
I will consider it progress if we could get beyond the two stock replies:
"you should do that in your application" and "you could  do that in an
extension".

Regards
Tim Romano
Swarthmore PA