VS is installed on an x64 system so when I build using VS IDE I normally
specify x86.

I don't normally build using MSBuild however, I inserted the line:
<PlatformTarget>x86</PlatformTarget>
in the project file and changed references to Any CPU to x86 and then
rebuilt the installer but get the same error when I run the command.

I tried building it in VS IDE and set the target to Debug x86 but still get
the error.

I've rechecked out the files so it's back to where it was before building.

Is there something specific I need to include on the MSBuild command line?

Patrick