On 20 Mar 2013, at 6:52pm, Petite Abeille <petite.abei...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mar 20, 2013, at 6:53 PM, Jay A. Kreibich <j...@kreibi.ch> wrote:
>
>> If there is any change I'd like to see, it is that all the PRAGMAs
>> that return tabular data should really be system catalog tables.
>
> Triple hurray for that! SQLite deserves a proper data dictionary, no question
> asked.
>
> What about adopting/adapting the information schema and call it a day?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_schema

Me three.  I feel that this would be a better way to get details about the
currently connected database(s).  It should replace all the PRAGMAs which
return details about tables, indexes, foreign keys, etc..  I do remember
someone posted code here a year or two ago which executed lots of PRAGMAs and
used the results to build such tables.  It may have been this, or related to it:

<http://www.sqlite.org/cvstrac/wiki?p=InformationSchema>

These tables could either be updated on any schema change, or could be left
uncalculated until a query on them is executed, or could be created/updated on
execution of a special command like ANALYSE.

On 20 Mar 2013, at 6:30pm, Jay A. Kreibich <j...@kreibi.ch> wrote:

>  Somewhere I have a VT that will build a table out of any SQL
>  statement.  That sounds kind of dumb, since that's either redundant,
>  or something you could do with a VIEW, but it can also be used for
>  any PRAGMA.

You mean something that would take apart a SELECT statement and identify the
JOINS, the WHERE clause, etc ?  That in interesting idea I've never seen
before.  It would be a sort of precursor to EXPLAIN QUERY PLAN.

Simon.