On 7/1/2014 5:20 PM, Igor Tandetnik wrote:
On 7/1/2014 4:55 PM, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
To prevent deadlocks, transactions that will modify the database should
be started with BEGIN IMMEDIATE.  (This kind of lock is not available
in shared cache mode.)

Are you sure? Nothing in the documentation appears to suggest that.

Upon rereading, this sounds ambiguous. I meant - are you sure BEGIN IMMEDIATE doesn't work in shared cache mode?

I didn't mean to cast doubt on the first part - the fact that transactions that start as readers and later try to upgrade to writers are deadlock-prone.
--
Igor Tandetnik