Thank you Kess for the suggestions:

Number of photos per directory: I tried this but it seems to have had no
benefit. i went from 200 photos in one directory down to 50 photos in four
directories, and there was no change.

I will try your other suggestions (disable automatic re-catalogging and
disable virus scanning of folders).

BTW: I have tried running lightroom in safe mode and the problem still
occurred.