All,

I've been enjoying this discussion and have learned a thing or two from all the
suggestions.

My particular problem is indeed solved. Adding a simple blob to my original
table is the best solution in this case. If you think about the trace data as
simply a screenshot of the analyzer display then I think it is easier to
understand why I don't want to bother with more complex solutions. Even though
they may be technically more correct, they are overkill for what I'm trying to
accomplish. I'm just saving a screenshot, minus the graticule and all the other
decorations on the display. There's no need to make it any more complicated
than that. I don't even have to save the X-axis elements as those are derived
from other parameters that are already known. Someone asked if the trace data
was time stamped. It is not. Date and time of the test are stored along with
all the other relevant information.

If I ever have to deal with complex numbers as my core data I have some pretty
good ideas on how to handle them now. BTW, the languages I use most, VEE & C#,
both support complex data types. Given the amount of use database programs see
in the scientific world I'm surprised there is no native complex data type (I
can appreciate the difficulty in implementing such a thing). Array support for
each type would be nice too. We have this in VEE and it is so easy to use. But
for now every programmer working in science or engineering has to re-invent the
wheel.

For the curious here are the analyzers I'm working with:
http://www.keysight.com/en/pc-1000001745%3Aepsg%3Apgr/pna-network-analyzers-300-khz-to-11-thz?cc=US&lc=eng

--
Bill Drago
Senior Engineer

CONFIDENTIALITY, EXPORT CONTROL AND DISCLAIMER NOTE:This e-mail and any
attachments are solely for the use of the addressee and may contain information
that is privileged or confidential. Any disclosure, use or distribution of the
information contained herein is prohibited. In the event this e-mail contains
technical data within the definition of the International Traffic in Arms
Regulations or Export Administration Regulations, it is subject to the export
control laws of the U.S.Government. The recipient should check this e-mail and
any attachments for the presence of viruses as L-3 does not accept any
liability associated with the transmission of this e-mail. If you have received
this communication in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and
immediately delete this message and any attachments.