Our application uses the following pragma with sqlite 3.7.7.1

PRAGMA synchronous=FULL;
PRAGMA locking_mode=EXCLUSIVE";

I understand from the documentation that with exclusive mode the journal file
is always created and never deleted until the exclusive mode is exited.

Now my questions are:-
-my application never exits the exclusive mode as long as its running and with
gracefull shutdown, I close the db. Sometimes we see the journal file not
present on the system although active transactions are ongoing. How is that
possible since the documentation says the journal file is always created in
exclusive mode ?
-sometimes on our customers setup, we have seen a journal file of size 10-20MB.
Does that mean that the journal is still hot and has not been used to recover
or rollback ? After the hot journal has been used to recover, would it be
truncated to 0 size ?

-Thanks for your help
Mayank