On 15 Jul 2015, at 6:40pm, Mayank Kumar (mayankum) <mayankum at cisco.com>
wrote:

> -what do you mean by journal file is created only when needed ? Is it not
> true, that for any transactions it is always created.

Yes, but many programs keep a connection to the database the whole time they're
run, but seldom do anything with it.  If someone was using the default
journal_mode (= DELETE) then there might be no journal file even though there
was a connection.

You might like to read through all the journal mode options here:

<https://www.sqlite.org/pragma.html#pragma_journal_mode>

> -I don't have journal mode setting. Again based on the documentation  at
> https://www.sqlite.org/tempfiles.html the journal file should always be
> present.

True only if you have done "locking_mode = EXCLUSIVE" and have already started
a transaction.

Maybe there needs to be a little table which shows how these two PRAGMAs
interact.

Simon.