Instead of trying to conform to MS-Excel's csv format, wouldn't it be
better to write an import from .xls (or .ods if that is an open
standard) directly?

That way each cell's value can be bound to a position holder in a
query.  No more fussing with "In this country we use this symbol to
denote decimals", "my data has special characters or line feeds inside
a cell" etc.

regards,
Adam