On Sun, 14 Jun 2015, Richard Hipp wrote:

> SQL (and I speak in general terms here, not just of SQLite) provides way
> more than syntactic sugar over b-trees. The syntactic sugar over b-trees
> part is the *least* of the many advantages of SQL. Other more important
> features include:

   Very well written, Richard.

> (3) Declarative Programming.  With SQL, the programmer asks the machine a
> question and lets the query planner figure out an appropriate algorithm. A
> few lines of query text replace hundreds or thousands of lines of
> procedural code needed to implement that query. If performance problems
> are encountered, they can usually be remedied by CREATE INDEX, and without
> changing a single line of code - the query procedures devised by the query
> planner shift automatically.

   Another stumbling block for some application developers is not recognizing
that SQL works in sets unlike earlier database formats that stored fields in
records. That's why a SELECT returns an entire set of table rows meeting the
selection criteria and the row order is not guaranteed.

Rich