On Sun, May 3, 2015 at 12:18 PM, Richard Hipp <drh at sqlite.org> wrote:

> I'm trying to update the "Most Deployed Database" page
> (https://www.sqlite.org/mostdeployed.html) in the SQLite documentation
> (which has not been touched in close to a decade) and I began to
> wonder what other software libraries (database or otherwise) might be
> deployed more than SQLite.  SQLite is in a lot of things.  My
> conjecture is that SQLite is in the top-10 most deployed software
> components in the world today.  Check my work, please.  SQLite is in:

{snipped}

But just from the list above, there are not too many
> computing devices that omit SQLite.  I'm wonder what other software
> components have a greater reach?
>
> The original Jean-loup Gailly and Mark Adler implementation of the
> zlib compression library might be deployed more.  Anything else?
>
> What about libjpeg and libpng?  I think there might be multiple
> independent implementations of libjpeg in circulation, but I am
> unclear on that point - perhaps a reader more knowledgable about this
> can correct me.  What about libpng?  Is there just the one original
> libpng library used everywhere, or are there competing
> implementations?

Obviously this is just guess work, but I would tend to give the edge to
SQLite for one reason: It is statically linked into so many programs by
design, whereas the others are (arguably) more often dynamically linked /
shared objects.

--
Scott Robison