On Sun, Jan 17, 2016 at 10:09 AM, James K. Lowden <jklowden at schemamania.org>
wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Jan 2016 14:21:26 -0700
> Scott Robison <scott at casaderobison.com> wrote:
>
> > > Huh.  An example of which is the "medium model" of the Intel 8086:
> > > 20-bit code pointers and 16-bit data pointers.  A machine for which
> > > C compilers existed, and on which no Posix system will ever run
> > > (because it lacks an MMU).  Thanks for that.
> > >

> > Sorry for the OT diversion, but I'm just curious as I don't have
> > historical POSIX standards for reference. Does POSIX really *require*
> > an MMU? Certainly Unix like systems were written for 8086 class
> > computers, but given that POSIX was first standardized in 1988 I'm
> > just curious as to whether or not an MMU is a requirement or just
> > really nice to have.
>
> AFAIK Posix makes no statement regarding hardware.  And Posix systems
> do run on "machines" today without an MMU, if you count bochs as a
> "machine" and disregard the MMU supplied by the underlying hardware.
> Posix requires process separation, which is most efficiently
> implemented in hardware, and was definitely needed back in the days of
> 4.77 MHz processors.

No, I was thinking actual real hardware. If including virtual machines I'd
have to consider a virtual MMU to be an MMU.

> Xenix ran on the 8086, to be sure.  As best I remember, though, the
> Xenix that run on a stock IBM PC was single-threaded: no fork(2).
> Sorry, no links; the www can be skimpy on pre-1990 arcania.  Apparently
> there were real multitasking versions of Unix running on the 8086,
> where the motherboard included some form of MMU.  I'm sure they
> performed like dancing bears.

Indeed it can be skimpy, hence my asking. I was hoping you might have
information I was unable to find.

Obviously Unix and Xenix and anything that was released prior to 1988 was
not written with Posix conformance in mind. I was mainly curious if it
legally required an MMU (per the standard).

Thanks!

--
Scott Robison