On 5/16/16, Eric Rubin-Smith <eas.bts at gmail.com> wrote:

> Richard: when your contract is up in 2050 maybe you can write us a book.
> Sort of a "War As I Knew It" but for programming.  :-)

To be clear:  There is no contract.  Airbus purchased a small amount
of support assistance from us during the initial development of the
A350, but that ended before the airplane ever flew.  During the time
when they were an active customer, Airbus did say that they wanted us
to support SQLite for the life of the A350 airframe, but that is only
their desire and is not something they are actually paying for.

Sometime later, someone (I forget whom) asked about the end-of-life
for SQLite and I remembered the conversation with Airbus and how they
expected a 40-year lifetime.  The conversation with Airbus took place
in approximately 2010.  Hence, 2050 seemed like a good target
end-of-life date for SQLite.

I think the important point here is not the specific date, but rather
that our goal to build timeless software.  (That is the goal - I do
not claim that we have achieved it.)  My impression is that most
software these days has a design lifetime measured in months, not
decades.  I find that when you are thinking long-term, it changes your
perspective on which patches land on trunk.
--
D. Richard Hipp
drh at sqlite.org