Reads about right. I'm writing the below step-by-step thing as much to test my
own knowledge of what's going on as to help, so knowledgeable folks please
correct me where I mess up.

The short version is: don't mess with writable schema unless you have no other
choice. (Which you probably do) As Firefox has said "this may void your
warranty"

http://www.sqlite.org/pragma.html#pragma_writable_schema
"Warning: misuse of this pragma can easily result in a corrupt database file."

So, following your specific test there...

When you update sqlite_master you're literally just changing a value in that
table, you're not re-parsing it. It treats it just like any other table update.
So the schema cookie in the file header isn't updated, nor are any data pages
associated with table t. So when you do the next select * statement, your
session sees that the schema cookie is the same as what it saw before and keeps
the old schema in memory, no need to parse it all every single statement. The
data pages in the file also haven't changed for table t, so everything matches
nicely and comes out as if you hadn't done the sqlite_master change at all.

When you try to vacuum, it re-parses things and sees that there is an
unrecoverable issue, so fails. But gracefully fails and doesn't alter the
existing file.

http://www.sqlite.org/fileformat2.html

The file format is such that as long as you start at the correct root page of a
table, you don't need the schema to read the actual values. Since SQLite lets
you put different data types into any declared field type, the data types are
stored in the data section for every record. So you can get all the data just
fine, the number of fields just might not jive with what you've been told to
expect from the contents of sqlite_master. So your next select expects 2
fields, and (I guess) stops there, even though the data pages say that there
are 3 fields.

The alter table command also only updates sqlite_master. None of the data pages
are updated until you start doing update or insert statements. So in your
specific case, the add field statement just makes the number of fields in the
schema jive with the number of fields in the data again.

When you do your insert there, the number of fields in the schema, the
statement, and the data pages all match up, so it doesn't re-write anything
that was already there, and thus adds in the new record just fine.

Nothing poped up as corrupt in your test except for the vacuum attempt, but
that's just because of the ordering and what you did with the schema. Without
trying very hard though you can mess things up real easy, especially if you
change the rootpage field.

It's a powerful tool. But just as though you were handed an industrial circular
saw to use by hand, read the manual before use, and practice on something you
don't mind destroying. And most importantly: if you can do the job with the
nice, sturdy, guarded, documented, comparatively safe table saw there that's
still under warranty, use that instead of the monster hand held one.

Now I'm gonna go back to lurking in the corner...