--- T&B <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Even if you got the sqlite_master table entries right, the in-
> > memory sqlite schema data structures would not be in sync.
>
> Yes, but my point/question was, would that not only apply to tables
> and indexes? I expect that views and triggers have no data structures
> (eg rootpage = 0) so there's nothing to get out of sync.

Change the SQL column for a VIEW in sqlite_master and see for yourself
that sqlite3 does not pick it up. You have to drop the connection and
make a new connection to see it.

> > You'd be better off using the normal DROP/CREATE SQL statements and
> > published sqlite APIs to do this sort of thing.
>
> Ideally, yes. But I've come across a few situations (such as the one
> I gave as an example) where being able to write to the sqlite_master
> tables would permit a solution that could be done totally in SQL, or
> which would save parsing schema.

If you find a way to get sqlite3 to re-parse the schema after your direct
sqlite_master change, please post it to the list. I don't think it can
be done without modifying the code or making a new connection.

You would also be at the mercy of future incompatible internal SQLite
changes. Only using the public API protects you from such future
breakage.