Thanks for the response - no it hadn't occurred to me to try a different
network filesystem, as I don't really have access to non windows machines.
I'm just using windows xp machines set up on the same domain, where the
databases reside on shared folders.

I actually thought there might be extra work sqlite is doing (no not
sleeping!) when more than one client is accessing the same database, like
having to move between extra locking states or something like that, and that
it might be easily explainable, but you're perfectly right that it could
just be down to the OS.

thanks anyway,
Serena