Thank you, that was immensely helpful - as well as Roger Binns many
informative posts about OpLocks.

Looks like there is nothing to be done about the slowdown (in fact I should
be grateful there is even such a thing as opportunistic locking to make the
single client situation faster), but it is a relief to have an explanation
about what is happening!

Serena.