On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 5:58 AM, Marcus Grimm <mgr...@medcom-online.de> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 9:47 PM, Marcus Grimm <mgr...@medcom-online.de>
>> http://www.sqlite.org/faq.html#q19
>
> the faq as well as the speed comparison speaks about a few dozen
> of transaction per second... that's why I'm wondering why I'm
> almost ten times slower on windows...

You don't say much about your hardware or how you are timing the
transaction speed, so 10 times slower for those numbers are within the
error margin.

Do the math yourself. It's more about disk rotation speed than any
other factor, as you have already seen when wrapping those INSERTs
within a transaction.

For comparison, use PRAGMA SYNCHRONOUS=OFF, which will return as soon
as the OS let's you (doesn't depend on the disk access).

But note that this option is not safe and I would discourage people
from using it until they understand very well what they are doing
(it's not easy, and many time impossible, to recover a corrupt SQLite
database). If you really want speed, you can try the new async VFS,
which will do the atomic writes in a background thread.

Regards,
~Nuno Lucas