my developemnt system is a Win XP, with of course NTFS, I don't
know which drive it has, I guess a standard 7200 rpm.

I tried also on a Win 2000 and Vista, as expected Vista appears
to be the slowest even this machine has the best hardware, theoretically.

All measurements vary +- 20%.

Just for my curiosity: Is linux considered to be faster than Windows here ?

kind regards

Marcus