It's an interesting topic. Tried to search the web, and at least two
well-known programs, Picasa and iTunes probably expects sqlite3.dll to be
located somewhere in a shared place (probably system32 folder) and some
other software silently replaced this dll with its own copy having this
entry (sqlite3_prepare_v2) absent so after that both programs refused to
start.

iTunes
http://www.seasonsecurity.com/how-do-i-download-sqlite3dll-89859
Picasa
http://www.mail-archive.com/sqlite-users@sqlite.org/msg46025.html

First, I'd pass D. Richard Hipp's comment about statical linking to these
vendors as well :) But also this may also comes from the fact that all
sqlite3.dll I saw had no windows version resource, but only version
reporting through the corresponding function. It's not a problem when one
writes his own installer, but as I suppose, all well-known tools for
creating installers like InstallShield, relies mostly on resource version
comparision in their scripts, so can it be that doing all the things by
default, a software developer ends with a script that founds no version
information in both versions (in the installer, and in the Windows folder)
and prefers to "upgrade" anyway. Also is it hard to compile current version
of sqlite3.c to dll with version information in Windows format without
necessity to manually duplicate this information?

Max