Friends,

After some correspondence with Vance Bass and with his kind help getting
over some initial problems with my Ruby, I'm on the list.  Ruby is my second
live steam locomotive - my first is a scratch built "dickins" based on the
articles that appeared in "Live Steam" back in 1976.  Some images of that
model, along with some images of the frame of a 4-6-4 in 1-1/4" gauge that
I'm building, are posted at
http://privat.schlund.de/h/hubertwetekamp/oscaletrains/casey.htm.

My adventures with Ruby started out with some problems.  It would take 8-10
minutes to get steam up and I had a very hard time keeping the flame going
in the boiler flue.  It kept insisting on burning in the smoke box.  I
consulted with Vance and he made several suggestions, one of which was to
ensure that the burner had an airtight fit in the boiler flue.  (Just as an
aside, some of Vance's e-mail to me had time stamps showing 2:00 AM.  You
KNOW he is a dedicated fan!)  That suggestion made sense since the burner
was loose in the flue.  By this time I had done 4 or 5 test runs with Ruby
up on blocks.  Performance deteriorated on each successive run.  By the
fifth run it was taking 12 minutes to get steam up and even with the
throttle open only 1/4 turn the boiler quickly ran out of steam.

To seal the burner in the flue tube I tried wrapping some asbestos thread
around the burner flange.  That bunched up when I inserted the burner back
in the flue and did not seal the opening.  I then cut a strip of aluminum
foil 1/8” wide and put two turns of this over the burner flange.  That
worked – sort of.  I discovered the burner would not burn too well.  No
matter how high I turned up the gas valve the burner would just sort of sit
there, acting like something was blocking the fuel line.  It still took well
over 10 minutes to get steam up and, with the wheels turning, the boiler
would run out of steam in a minute or two.  When the fuel was exhausted
after an 18 minute burn there was 50 ml of water remaining in the boiler of
the original 80 ml.

Hmmmmm.  Something is still wrong.

I pulled the burner and removed the tube between the fuel tank and the
burner to inspect everything for blockage.  Nothing apparent.  I pulled the
screen off the burner and everything looked OK.  I even removed the throttle
stem and the filler valve from the fuel tank to inspect them.  Nothing
amiss.

I put everything back together, except that I left the burner out in open
air to see how it would work.  It took 2 matches to get the burner lit and
it burned very softly for about a minute, even with the fuel valve opened
two full turns.  Then, the burner began to “wind up” until it was roaring.
I hurriedly turned it down and now had full control over the burner from a
very soft flame (with the valve barely opened) to a solid roar (with the
valve opened a half turn).  I conjecture that, with my initial difficulties
and the flame burning in the smoke box, the burner screen got clogged up
with carbon deposits or something from incompletely burned fuel and oily
water spatter from the steam exhaust.  Once that stuff burned off the burner
began to function as it should.  All this took about 2 minutes of burning.

I shut down the burner and got ready for a test run.  I had Ruby on blocks
over a metal pad on my work bench so the wheels could turn freely and so the
oily steam condensate could be easily be cleaned up.  I rewrapped the burner
flange with a fresh piece of aluminum foil, then inserted the burner into
the boiler flue.  The burner lit off immediately on the first match and
burned correctly in the boiler flue.  This time the safety valve was popping
off in about 5 minutes and the wheels were turning a minute later, after I
worked the water out of the cylinders.  With the fuel valve open about 3/8
of a turn and the burner at a soft roar I could keep the engine at full
throttle (two turns on the throttle valve) and still have the safety
lifting.  The two foot high plume of steam from the stack showed up nicely
in the cold air of my garage.  Very, very satisfying.

Not counting the initial 2 minutes with the burner going in open air, the
fuel lasted something over 14 minutes, most of the time with the burner at a
soft roar.  Cutting that back would doubtless add many minutes to the burn
time.  At the end of the run, with the throttle cranked up high most of the
time, there remained about 8 ml of water in the boiler.  In a more typical
situation, with the wheels turning at an equivalent of about 20 mph the
water should remain at quite a safe level throughout the burner operating
time.  With the burner at a lower setting I won’t be losing steam through
the safety valve and with the throttle at a lower setting I won’t be using
quite so much water.  Those are things I'll try another day.

So, thats the first steps for me with this new machine.  I'm looking forward
to putting together an outdoor track to let Ruby exercise on something other
than test blocks.  I'll go back to the archives on this list to see what
else I can learn about this little gem.  I hope the info I am posting here
could be of some service to others.

Casey Sterbenz