On Tue, 15 Feb 2000 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In a message dated 2/14/00 5:16:11 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> << Beg your pardon Kg is a weight unit in metric and therefore convertable to
>  pounds >>
>

> Sorry, Mass should not be confused with weight.  Mass and weight are two
> different quantities.  Mass is a term used to measure inertia.  The SI unit
> of mass is the Kilogram.  The weight of an object is equal to the force of
> gravity acting on the object and varies with location.  For example, an
> object weighing 180 pounds on earth will weigh about 30 pounds on the moon.
> However, the Mass of an object is the same everywhere.  A 10 kg Mass on earth
> is a 10 kg Mass on the moon.
>
> Bill Kuehsel

Hooray!

I looked over the conversion table suggested by others.  Obviously, one
can multiply a number by a conversion factor and come up with another
number, but not necessarily with a meaningful unit.

I recall a number of years ago, when the USA was trying to metrify, that a
physicists society voted to censure the US congress for confusing the unit
of mass, Kg, with the unit of force, pound.  It seems that the rest of the
world has latched onto the same sort of confusion, and come up with
the useless unit of Kg/Cm^2.

Maybe we need to break with tradition, and express boiler pressure with
something like bushels / acre.

--
Bill Kaiser
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

There are three ways to do a job: good, cheap, and quick.
You can have any two.
A good, cheap job won't be quick.
A good, quick job won't be cheap.
A cheap, quick job won't be good.