Generally, I'll use spray cans for most things. For 90% of the work we do in this scale, they're fine. Sometimes I'll warm the spray can by immersing it in hot water for a few minutes. This increases the pressure inside the can, and gives you a finer spray out of the nozzle. I also do a lot of brush painting. Any wood parts can be brush painted without any worries. I try not to brush paint things like the sides of tenders, but small details, tender frames, trucks, wheels, couplers... things like that are easy to paint with a brush.

I've just recently been getting reacquainted with my airbrush. I've found them rather troublesome in the past, but have discovered that most of the problems I encountered could be traced directly back to the rather weak compressor I was using. (Strange, since it was a Badger compressor.) I've finally upgraded to a real compressor, and have found that to work much better, especially for the acrylic paints I generally use (The 99¢ bottles you can get at Michael's or Hobby Lobby). They work great out of the bottle with a brush, and thinned between 50/50 and 40/60, they work great through the airbrush, also. They come in almost every color under the rainbow, even something that matches that gawd-awful Penn Central green. I still prefer spray cans when possible, out of pure convenience.

In this scale, you're not going to obscure details the way one might in the smaller scales. The total paint coverage is maybe .002" at the thickest, and that's not going to hide anything (even little goofs you hope the paint would hide.)

Later,