You are correct as I recall, Steve. I have seen pics taken in the late
1800s of  railways in the garden--not much scenery etc, just tracks in the
garden. Models have been made since the introduction of steam engines
mostly 4" gauge and up- the gauges varied by sometimes just 1/8th of an
inch. No standards in those days.

Great coverage by the Mercury! Our own Eureka Times Standard did   an
article on parts of  two page covering  our local  garden railways a few
years ago, it too was accurate (cos' they got the info from me--A-Hem!!).
Strangley, I quoted in the  Times Standard  almost as printed by the
Mercury: "Garden railroading enjoyed some popularity in the 1920's and
1930's. It was also stated that in Britain the hobby of garden railroading
"goes back more than a century".   I obtained this  info  from the Large
Scale Model Railroad Association.

Geoff.

Yesterday the San Jose Mercury-News ran a two and a half page story in