<<When I finish a sculpture and show it to whoever I can... I want them to
spend more time with it, ask me
questions, go back to it etc.>>

HIHO Arthur (and all),

        Glad to see this sort of question!  Over time I have found that most people
don't know quite what to do with sculpture.  Their initial like or dislike
and a comment or two is gratifying.   But to see beyond that is itself an
art. In fact, there is an interesting small book called "How to Look at
Sculpture" (with some fabulous images of Canova's work!).

        When I am in the Loveland Sculpture Shows, where you get to interact with
15,000 viewers in 3 days, I have noticed that many people can't even look at
some of my pieces, especially the nudes, while others who can't stop
looking, can't see them as art.  Knowing what we like and don't in art (or
even partners or cuisine) requires a development of the mind and possibly
the soul.

        A very small cadre have either the concepts or the language to go deeper.
This is one reason to hang out with fellow sculptors wherever you can.  And
to have peers critique and discuss pieces.

        I once noticed a woman following me around the North American Sculpture
Exhibition in Golden CO as I discussed with a non-sculptor friend the types
of stones, and forms, and visual jokes, and the effect a piece had on the
viewers body or mood, etc etc.  I later found many of my comments in a
newspaper article!  Apparently, even that critic didn't know what to do with
the richness and complexity before her.

        One solution I have found is to educate my audience while we talk.  Since
part of what I like about sculpting is that everything I want to say is
right there in the forms, I let viewers look, touch, and talk first.  But
then I discuss how I made a certain decision and let them respond.  Then I
may mention how I chose to go for, say, 85% realism and show how the fingers
look life like but are intentionally not "literal" and then may point out
that human elbows are not really shaped like this either, yet they "seem"
quite normal... etc and let them respond.  And so on.

         A little verbal or analytic tour guide of the various themes in each piece
first teaches the concept and then invites a response.  Most people learn
very quickly and are happy to offer me much more informed and gratiying
feedback.  And: This turns out to be the single most important thing I have
learned about selling sculpture.  Since many buyers often know just as
little about the work as others, they can become increasingly intrigued,
informed, and engaged in a piece during the conceptual tour.  A longish
comment, but I've been waiting.... do others have thoughts on this theme???
Ron Masa

"The purpose of Learning is not Learning.
The purpose of Learning is Living."

FAQ info and help on using this list is on
http://www.learningstone.net/lslstfaq.html
To unsubscribe, send a blank email to
leave-stone[AT]lists.spunge.org